- A binary compound of nitrogen with a more electropositive element.More example sentences
- The barrier may be a thin film containing at least one of a nitride, oxide, boride, silicide, carbide and aluminide.
- It is interesting to note that this is also true of a number of nitrides and borides.
- Today's silicon steels use MnS as the grain growth inhibitor, but other compounds, such as carbides, oxides, or nitrides, are also effective.
verb[with object] (usually as noun nitriding) Metallurgy Back to top
- Heat steel in the presence of ammonia or other nitrogenous material so as to increase hardness and corrosion resistance.More example sentences
- When these steels are nitrided the aluminum forms AlN particles, which strain the ferrite lattice and create strengthening dislocations.
- Nitrogen may be introduced into the surface of the steel by nitriding.
- A roof-area cross-member is nitrided (bonding titanium and nitrogen to the parent steel after stamping) to raise its tensile strength to 145,000 lbs/sq.-in.
More definitions of nitrideDefinition of nitride in:
- The British & World English dictionary