verb (nitrifies, nitrifying, nitrified)[with object] Chemistry
- 2Impregnate with nitrogen or nitrogen compounds.More example sentences
- The Refuge volunteer collected soil samples from our continuing study on the effects of applying sawdust to restored areas that have been previously nitrified by yellow bush lupine.
- More example sentences
- Other reactions unique to life, except at extremely high temperatures and pressures, include nitrogen fixation, nitrification and denitrification, sulphate and sulphur reduction, and methane formation.
- Oxygen production by benthic microalgae enhanced rates of, and coupling between, nitrification and denitrification when ammonium was not limiting, resulting in significant loss of nitrogen from sediments as dinitrogen gas.
- Current research has shown an increase in soil acidification through anthropogenic effects including acid precipitation and nitrification of ammoniacal fertilizers.
early 19th century: from French nitrifier.
More definitions of nitrifyDefinition of nitrify in:
- The British & World English dictionary