- A colorless gas with a sweetish odor, prepared by heating ammonium nitrate. It produces exhilaration or anesthesia when inhaled and is used as an anesthetic and as an aerosol propellant. Also called laughing gas.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: N2O
- Other trace gases include methane, nitrous oxide, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and ozone.
- These gases, including carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide, absorb heat more readily than do the main constituents of our atmosphere, oxygen and nitrogen.
- Carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and other gases are known collectively as greenhouse gases because they trap heat in the atmosphere.
More definitions of nitrous oxideDefinition of nitrous oxide in:
- The British & World English dictionary