noun (plural noms de plume pronunc. same)
- A pen name.More example sentences
- And if anonymity is so unimportant, why are we using noms de plume on this board?
- If you don't want to use your real name, use a nom de plume and briefly explain, for publication, why you don't want to use your real name.
- For some bloggers, a nom de plume might be used when the blogger's real name is phonetically unwieldy or so common as to be undistinguishable.
early 19th century: formed in English from French words, to render the sense 'pen name', on the pattern of nom de guerre.
More definitions of nom de plumeDefinition of nom de plume in:
- The British & World English dictionary