Definition of nomenklatura in English:
1(In the former Soviet Union) a list of influential posts in government and industry to be filled by Communist Party appointees.
- In the nomenklatura system, officials at this level expect to move into a similarly lofty and responsible position, such as ambassador or minister at the federal level.
- Based on a nomenklatura system, all key positions in the state administration, the economy, education, the media, and the military were controlled by the party.
- Far from preventing the restoration of capitalism and the victory of ‘civil society’, Stalin actually paved the way for it by ‘creating’ the nomenklatura.
1.1Those people appointed to posts in government or industry under the nomenklatura system.
- The former Communist nomenklatura continued to remain influential in executive government, especially after 1992.
- The leaders of these groups may receive privileges once granted to the Soviet nomenklatura, such as official cars and well-equipped offices.
- Apart from speculative activity surrounding the price of voucher books, the pace of privatization was deliberately slowed down by the vested political interests of the nomenklatura.
Definition of nomenklatura in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan