Definition of nominee in English:
1A person who is proposed or formally entered as a candidate for an office or as the recipient of a grant or award: the party’s presidential nominee an Oscar nominee
More example sentences
- All the more reason for care in selecting the presidential nominee of the Democratic Party.
- And that base is especially strong in the primary elections that determine the nominee for President.
- Tom was selected from a distinguished list of nominees for the honour.
2A person or company whose name is given as having title to a stock, real estate, etc., but who is not the actual owner.
- It means the shares are held in the name of a nominee company of Goodbody.
- To create a legal mortgage the shares have to be registered in the name of the bank or of its nominee company.
- We don't have any record of the nominee name in the share register.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan