1 dated A person who is not Aryan nor of Aryan descent.
- They lowered the non-Aryans to below the level of humans - they were pitiful, pathetic creatures, scavenging for scraps, begging.
- But, at the main entrance to the museum there hung a large sign which forbade non-Aryans from entering this institute!
- Further, like Tara, she accepts her husband's enemy and brother as spouse, either at Rama's behest or because it was the custom among the non-Aryans for the new ruler to wed the enthroned queen.
1.1(Especially in Nazi ideology) a person who is not of Caucasian race, especially one of Jewish descent.
- In the 20th century, the Nazis used craniometry and anthropometry to distinguish Aryans from non-Aryans.
- The Nazis considered their Aryan race superior over others and systematically attempted to kill non-Aryans, intellectuals and anybody who would denounce them.
- Decisions at the Nuremberg party congress in the autumn of 1935 made it clear that non-Aryans would no longer be able to keep their posts even if they had served in World War I.
(Of a person or language) not Aryan or of Aryan descent.
- This is the name of a non-Aryan people mentioned in early Buddhist and Jain records.
- Romila Thapar has confirmed that, the more commonly used word for the plough in Vedic literature is of non-Aryan etymology.
- Bangladeshis are primarily descendants of the non-Aryan inhabitants of the region.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.