Definition of nonaligned in English:
1Not aligned with something else.
- If, like many local voters, you are considering not bothering to vote on May 1 precisely for the reasons I have laid out, I urge you to think again and consider voting for an independent or non-aligned candidate.
- That strikes me as a very accurate picture of contemporary American culture: the intellectuals, like Harold Bloom and the late Susan Sontag, are all avowedly non-professional and non-aligned.
- His departure left bitterness among his local supporters and the allegations which he still faces alarmed party supporters, opponents and non-aligned voters alike.
1.1(Of countries) not aligned with a major power, especially the former Soviet Union or the US.
- Approval of the resolution followed days of backdoor negotiations and resistance by nonaligned countries who saw their own right to enrichment threatened.
- But India is a nonaligned country and we do not gang up with any particular nation in relation to another one.
- The movement of nonaligned nations during the cold war never formulated a robust ideological alternative beyond declaring they were in neither the Soviet nor the US camp.
- Example sentences
- The meeting defined non-alignment as a capacity to exercise independence in taking foreign policy decisions according to national interests.
- China also sought to reward Tanzania for its leadership in the international movement for non-alignment and for supporting China in international affairs, particularly at the United Nations.
- Be it non-alignment or centralised planning, the policy that Nehru wanted was generally adopted by the Congress, and by the Government of India as well.
Definition of nonaligned in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan