Definition of nonbelligerent in English:
Not aggressive or engaged in a war or conflict.
- But it also must have involved dialogue, collaboration, exchange, communication, recognition, and similar non-belligerent relations.
- Sweden survived the war as a non-belligerent state by following a flexible policy which responded to the political realities of the moment while retaining some freedom of manoeuvre for the future.
- The law of Nuremberg stated simply, that it is not legal to launch a war of aggression against a passive, non-belligerent country.
nounBack to top
A nation or person that is not engaged in a war or conflict.
- The threat of war thus disrupts financial markets and non-belligerents will try to move resources away, as will the belligerents' own nationals if they can.
- Troops readily change their allegiances, while the dividing line between non-belligerents and those in active service is tenuous and easily shifted.
- The country remained a non-belligerent, but was enclosed within the area of German control.
- nonbelligerence noun
- Example sentences
- So strong was the latter consideration that Mussolini preferred to talk of Italian ‘non-belligerence’ and not of neutrality, which was considered a sign of weakness.
- A shamefaced request to Berlin for the eighteen million tons of strategic raw materials ostensibly needed before Italy could fight excused Mussolini's decision to announce Italy's ‘non-belligerence’.
- The neutrality or ‘non-belligerence’ of all these states was swept away by Hitler's seemingly unstoppable tide of victories in 1940 and 1941.
- nonbelligerency noun
- Example sentences
- Instead Hitler found Franco unyielding in his refusal to compromise his nonbelligerency and to permit German troops on Spanish soil.
- And although he declared his nonbelligerency in September 1939, his nature would not allow him to remain on the sidelines for long.
Definition of nonbelligerent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.