Definition of noncommittal in English:
(Of a person or a person’s behavior or manner) not expressing or revealing commitment to a definite opinion or course of action: her tone was noncommittal, and her face gave nothing away
More example sentences
- Most of them, I believe, are altogether vaguer, more non-committal, not so much insisting on the reality of heaven as refusing to believe in the finality of death.
- He said, ‘Now we must fight together against the Russians,’ and I gave him some non-committal answer.
- She did not speak unless spoken to, and even then her answers were short and non-committal.
- Example sentences
- ‘He looks a bit busy to me,’ Bella continued non-committally.
- ‘Mmm,’ she replied non-committally, but the radiant smile on her face showed that her demons were gone for the moment.
- The ability to play non-committally in the opening without incurring any disadvantage in doing so is a great asset, and he can and should delay his decisions until the other countries have committed themselves.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.