Definition of noncommittal in English:
(Of a person or a person’s behavior or manner) not expressing or revealing commitment to a definite opinion or course of action: her tone was noncommittal, and her face gave nothing away
More example sentences
- Most of them, I believe, are altogether vaguer, more non-committal, not so much insisting on the reality of heaven as refusing to believe in the finality of death.
- He said, ‘Now we must fight together against the Russians,’ and I gave him some non-committal answer.
- She did not speak unless spoken to, and even then her answers were short and non-committal.
- Example sentences
- ‘He looks a bit busy to me,’ Bella continued non-committally.
- ‘Mmm,’ she replied non-committally, but the radiant smile on her face showed that her demons were gone for the moment.
- The ability to play non-committally in the opening without incurring any disadvantage in doing so is a great asset, and he can and should delay his decisions until the other countries have committed themselves.