Definition of noncommunist in English:
Not advocating or practicing communism.
- Though communists call themselves ‘socialists’, their movement had little in common with non-communist forms of socialism, or with earlier forms of communism in history, including Christian communism.
- Solidarity formed the East Bloc's first non-communist government in 1989, marking the start of a wave of freedom which saw Marxist regimes fall like dominoes across Europe.
- The deliberation and drafting of the 1951 Refugees Convention were conducted solely by Western powers and non-communist member states of the UN.
nounBack to top
A person who is not a communist.
- Tito's forces wrested large sections of the country from German control, ultimately winning the support of communists and non-communists, including the Allies.
- In the arrests which followed in Leningrad non-communists seemed to suffer as much as communists.
- The Russians were held responsible for this and their refusal to allow an enquiry by the International Red Cross only confirmed to non-communists in Poland that Stalin's government was responsible for these murders.
Definition of noncommunist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia