Definition of nonconductor in English:
A substance that does not conduct heat or electricity.
- Most other minerals are non-conductors of electricity.
- Substances such as hydrogen chloride or acetic acid are non-conductors in the pure state but give rise to ions and thus electrical conductivity when dissolved in water.
- They terminate at the surfaces of the conductors under induction, or at the particles of non-conductors, which, being electrified, are in that condition.
- Example sentences
- When both the first and the second two-terminal non-linear elements are in the non-conducting state, the voltage on the capacitor can be maintained.
- In fact, scientists have already been able to construct such wires, but they are relatively short and must be isolated from their neighbors by immersing them in a sea of other, non-conducting molecules.
- When two non-conducting materials come into contact with each other, a chemical bond, known as adhesion, is formed between the two materials.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan