Definition of nonconductor in English:
A substance that does not conduct heat or electricity.
- Most other minerals are non-conductors of electricity.
- Substances such as hydrogen chloride or acetic acid are non-conductors in the pure state but give rise to ions and thus electrical conductivity when dissolved in water.
- They terminate at the surfaces of the conductors under induction, or at the particles of non-conductors, which, being electrified, are in that condition.
- Example sentences
- When both the first and the second two-terminal non-linear elements are in the non-conducting state, the voltage on the capacitor can be maintained.
- In fact, scientists have already been able to construct such wires, but they are relatively short and must be isolated from their neighbors by immersing them in a sea of other, non-conducting molecules.
- When two non-conducting materials come into contact with each other, a chemical bond, known as adhesion, is formed between the two materials.
Pronunciation: /ˈˌnän kənˈdəktiNG/adjective
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.