Definition of nonlinear in English:
1.1 Mathematics Designating or involving an equation whose terms are not of the first degree.
- Norman decided to shift his field from gap and density theorems to non-linear differential equations, both ordinary and partial.
- The non-linear differential equation describing the growth of a biological population which he deduced and studied is now named after him.
- It was then that he became aware of the mysteries underlying the subject of non-linear partial differential equations.
1.2 Physics Involving a lack of linearity between two related qualities such as input and output.
- If matter is present where the photons cross, non-linear effects caused by accelerated electric charges may allow the photons to interact.
- Other non-linear factors also contribute to increase the resulting gain disparity between wavelengths.
- It will build on Hull's existing expertise in linear and non-linear acoustical properties of materials, aspects of outdoor acoustics and in silencer design and combustion noise.
1.4Not linear, sequential, or straightforward; random: Joyce’s stream-of-consciousness, nonlinear narrative
More example sentences
- Unfortunately, the film itself was a bit slow-paced and difficult to follow, with a non-linear narrative structure.
- Will UK readers cope with the experimental, non-linear narrative structure?
- Sometimes these are the visual equivalent of a non-linear narrative.
2Of or denoting digital editing whereby a sequence of edits is stored on computer as opposed to videotape, thus facilitating further editing.
- And you will need a three machine edit suite or a non-linear computer editing system to achieve this.
- The videotapes were digitized, and processed through a computer based non-linear video editing system.
- For editing non-linear computer editing is the only way to go.
- Example sentences
- The idea of the loop brings to mind repetition, non-linearity and circular motion.
- Yet true to chaos theory, the appearance of non-linearity does not necessarily imply a lack of coherent structures.
- She gives her narrative an ending, but uses the text to explore ideas of movement, transformation and non-linearity.
- Example sentences
- The energy matrix that binds her cells together responds non-linearly to force.
- Its main construct is that each panel portrays the exact same location and space at different, marked times, non-linearly.
- As the number and types of storage devices continue to proliferate, the complexity of managing storage grows non-linearly.
Definition of nonlinear in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan