Definition of nonnative in English:
1(Of a person, plant, or animal) not indigenous or native to a particular place.
- Originally, the act did not distinguish between native and non-native bird species.
- Large numbers of natives and non-native Canadians have been attending these meetings.
- Learn about the relationship between native yellow-legged frogs and non-native trout.
1.1(Of a speaker) not having spoken the language in question from earliest childhood.
- The reason is that a non-native speaker who has learned the language after his childhood uses his lip and face muscles differently even if he sounds like a perfect native speaker.
- These findings have further implications for other language learners, namely, non-native speakers acquiring a second language.
- She had been studying the English language with a program designed to teach it to non-native speakers.
Definition of nonnative in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.