Definition of nonstandard in English:
1Not average, normal, or usual: people working nonstandard hours
More example sentences
- Research labs are also usually relaxed about people working from home frequently, or keeping non-standard hours.
- Anyone who has seen field conditions will clarify that non-standard seeds of variable quality are one of the biggest problems facing cotton farmers.
- Twenty non-standard containers, all having their back doors sealed, were found either on board or loaded on the 20 trucks waiting at the wharf.
1.1(Of language) not of the form that is accepted as standard.
- I was already aware of many other non-standard usages that didn't bother me a bit.
- Under normal circumstances, dialects or non-standard Mandarin are not to be used.
- The requirement to answer in complete sentences recalls Labov's classic work on non-standard English.
Definition of nonstandard in:
- British & World English dictionary