Definition of nonviolent in English:
1(Especially of political action or resistance) characterized by nonviolence.
- We call them to nonviolent resistance, rejecting actions that violate moral law.
- We must be prepared to continue to provide lawful, nonviolent, civil resistance in this nation.
- In short, Butler organized a campaign of nonviolent resistance among suspected prostitutes.
1.1(Especially of a person) not using violence.
- They offer some practical proposals, most importantly, separating violent from nonviolent offenders.
- Well, I think that this distinction between violent and nonviolent offenders is a little bit false in that respect.
- It's clear that time served in such conditions regularly creates violent criminals from nonviolent ones.
- Example sentences
- Those taking to the streets will understand what they are doing there and will respond nonviolently to police provocation.
- Likewise, the command to resist nonviolently is terribly concrete.
- There have been numerous instances of people courageously and nonviolently refusing cooperation with injustice.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia