Definition of norepinephrine in English:
A hormone that is released by the adrenal medulla and by the sympathetic nerves and functions as a neurotransmitter. It is also used as a drug to raise blood pressure. Also called noradrenaline.
- Chemical formula: (HO)2C6H3CHOHCH2NH2
- When you're under stress your adrenal glands produce the hormones cortisol, norepinephrine, and adrenaline.
- Within the adrenal medulla dopamine is converted to norepinephrine and epinephrine.
- As a natural response to a diseased heart, the body releases the hormone norepinephrine, causing the heart to beat up to five times faster than normal.
Definition of norepinephrine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.