- A hormone that is released by the adrenal medulla and by the sympathetic nerves and functions as a neurotransmitter. It is also used as a drug to raise blood pressure. Also called noradrenaline.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: (HO)2C6H3CHOHCH2NH2
- When you're under stress your adrenal glands produce the hormones cortisol, norepinephrine, and adrenaline.
- Within the adrenal medulla dopamine is converted to norepinephrine and epinephrine.
- As a natural response to a diseased heart, the body releases the hormone norepinephrine, causing the heart to beat up to five times faster than normal.
More definitions of norepinephrineDefinition of norepinephrine in:
- The British & World English dictionary