Definition of norm in English:
- Upper class or not, women must not assume that just because Caesarians have become the norm, it's normal.
- Testing has long impeded all groups of minority students, and is a strong barrier to the success of minorities in schools where standardized testing is the norm.
- We challenge you to join us in creating healthy work environments by making these standards the norm.
- It is easy to assume that these new roles lead to strains on the elderly in that: they must adapt to changes in social norms and acceptable behavioral standards.
- The distortion and utter disregard for social norms, anti-social behaviour and altered family values, are some of the manifestations of this phenomenon.
- You may not conform to social norms and patterns.
- Now more than ever, the level of detail on every garment has become a requirement, and may soon reach the norm.
- Action will be taken against those who fail to comply with the norm.
- Many teachers themselves believe that 70 hours a week is the norm, and is required of them.
- The random vector is drawn from a Gaussian distribution whose standard deviation is 20% of the norm of the force vector.
Early 19th century: from Latin norma 'precept, rule, carpenter's square'.
enormous from mid 16th century:
Enormous is from Latin enormis, from e- ‘out of’ and norma ‘pattern, standard’ (the root of norm (early 19th century), and normal (mid 17th century)). In early use it meant ‘abnormal, unusual, extraordinary’ and also ‘abnormally bad, monstrous, shocking’ as well as ‘huge’. This bad sense is still found in enormity (Late Middle English), which strictly means ‘a grave crime or sin’ or ‘the extreme seriousness of something bad’, although today people increasingly use it to mean simply ‘great size or scale’.
Words that rhyme with normconform, corm, dorm, form, forme, haulm, lukewarm, Maugham, misinform, outperform, perform, shawm, storm, swarm, transform, underperform, warm
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.