1Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected: it’s quite normal for puppies to bolt their food normal working hours
More example sentences
- The news was on a repeat schedule at this hour since it was normal for them to repeat the news at night.
- Under normal circumstances you would expect the latter to have a much lower price tag.
- The queue of traffic had stopped again after moving a few meters, a pace which seemed about normal for the rush hour in the middle of York on a Wednesday morning.
typical, stock, common, everyday, regular, routine, established, set, fixed, traditional, time-honored
ordinary, average, typical, run-of-the-mill, middle-of-the-road, common, conventional, mainstream, unremarkable, unexceptional, garden-variety, a dime a dozen
1.1(Of a person) free from physical or mental disorders.
- In some cases, children with dominant single gene disorders are born to normal parents.
- He's just a normal person that probably has a few mental issues he needs to deal with.
- Take advantage of this quiet mental time to see how normal people live.
2 technical (Of a line, ray, or other linear feature) intersecting a given line or surface at right angles.
- Unless the radar signal is normal to some surface (extremely low probability) the radar receives no return.
- In physics, the critical angle is described with respect to the normal line.
- The hard perturbations in this study caused the trajectory to move in a direction that was normal to the limit cycle.
3 Medicine (Of a salt solution) containing the same salt concentration as the blood.
- Therefore, 1L of normal saline should be given per hour to start.
- An infusion of IV normal saline frequently corrects hypotension and increases cardiac output.
- The probe was rinsed with sterile normal saline between measurements of each raft.
4 Geology Denoting a fault or faulting in which a relative downward movement occurred in the strata situated on the upper side of the fault plane.
- As much as 1.3 km of sediment were eroded on the footwall blocks of normal faults at that time.
- In addition, large-scale isoclinal folds and normal faults with throws exceeding 10m locally occur.
- Massive dolomite and dolomitic breccias are separated by a normal fault from the upper part of the sequence.
nounBack to top
1The usual, average, or typical state or condition: her temperature was above normal the service will be back to normal next week
More example sentences
- Things have reverted pretty much back to normal, or whatever normal means when Lindsey and I are involved.
- He was back to normal, well normal for him, but definitely strange to most people.
- Everything is now back to normal and the game continues every Wednesday night.
1.1 informal A person who is conventional or healthy .
- As Modes had promised beforehand, the march ended with the clowns piling into three small cars and driving off, ‘leaving the normals confused and frightened.’
- ‘Ah, but if Mutants are perfectly capable of living with normals,’ she observes, ‘why are they exiled from the rest of us?’
- Also, let us not forget that the military institution provides us with a means to segregate the less desirable members of society from the rest of us normals.
2 technical A line at right angles to a given line or surface.
- Since normals to a straight line never intersect and tangents coincide with the curve, evolutes, involutes and pedal curves are not too interesting.
- It deals with normals to conics regarded as maximum and minimum straight lines drawn from particular points to the curve.
- Since these forces are strongest for orientation of the surface normal perpendicular to the rotation axis, this may cause a slight preference for alignment of the bilayer normals perpendicular to the rotor axis.
the new normal
- A previously unfamiliar or atypical situation that has become standard, usual, or expected: 32% of Americans say spending less is the new normal, according to a recent pollMore example sentences
- Is $3 gas the new normal?
- The term 'extreme weather' has become the new normal.
- Crisis has become the new normal for the nuclear medicine department at the Trois-Rivieres regional hospital, he said.
Words that rhyme with normalabnormal, conformal, formal, paranormal, subnormal