Definition of northwesterly in English:
Another term for northwest.
- The MoD has been using Cape Wrath as a live bombing range for nearly 70 years with the tacit agreement of the residents of nearby Durness, mainland Britain's most north-westerly village.
- Forecaster Gerard Bellam says north-westerly winds are on the way, which will give the country, especially eastern regions, a chance to warm up.
- ESB spokesperson Pauline Madigan said the situation could have been much worse as the winds were south-westerly instead of the usually more damaging north-westerly winds.
nounBack to top
another term for northwester.
- Back on the ship, the 14-man team were fighting against strengthening north-westerlies.
- Another summer wind, a north-westerly, blowing over Iraq and the Persian Gulf.
- Monday's strong wind gave the fleet a good race as boats tacked off from the start to find the best wind in the main north-westerly, or to pick up the north-easterly air stream down Troutbeck.
Definition of northwesterly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan