Definition of nucleosome in English:
A structural unit of a eukaryotic chromosome, consisting of a length of DNA coiled around a core of histones.
- Histone proteins are essential components of nucleosomes in eukaryotic chromosomes.
- The packaging of DNA with histones into nucleosomes and higher-order chromatin structures has profound effects on transcription initiation.
- DNA replication, like other DNA-dependent processes, must contend with the organization of DNA into nucleosomes and higher-order chromatin structures.
- Example sentences
- The failure to recover mutations in genes encoding nucleosomal histones in this screen may be due to the presence of numerous copies of the histone gene cluster in flies.
- Histones are small basic proteins encoded by a multigene family and are responsible for the nucleosomal organization of chromatin in eukaryotes.
- In wild-type cells, the repressed state spreads unidirectionally through nucleosomal chromatin.
Definition of nucleosome in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia