Definition of numbat in English:
A small termite-eating Australian marsupial with a black and white striped back and a bushy tail.
- Myrmecobius fasciatus, family Myrmecobiidae
- I mean, we have an enormous wealth of reptiles, the richest in the world, our insects are amazing, our marsupials, our numbats and our bandicoots and our bilbies - how many people have seen a bilby or know what a bilby is?
- When we started, people didn't know what bilbies and boodies and bettons and numbats were, and now they do.
- The winery has a wetland centre in South Australia where it is also intended to release brush-tailed bettong and numbats later in the year.
Early 20th century: from Nyungar.
Definition of numbat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.