Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of number eight in English:
1(In rugby union) the forward at the back of the scrum.
- Orrell struck back almost immediately and with Drew Hickey picking up at the back of a scrum, the number eight spun out of a tackle to claim a try.
- Manuel Dallan picked up the ball after Canada fluffed a scrum and popped it to the number eight to bundle his way over the line.
- They have a good number eight and a fly half who is one of the best goal kickers in the league.
2 [mass noun] NZ A wire of 4 mm gauge, used especially for fences: [as modifier]: number eight wire
More example sentences
- At that time, there were few public screening opportunities for the underdog, number eight wire, and independent music video.
- We have even heard it said that ‘the New Zealand pastime of inventing things with number eight wire and a four-by-two is a little romance that needs to be put to bed’.
- ‘We built it out of straw, number eight wire and papier mache,’ said Mr Mitchell.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.