Definition of nummulite in English:
The flat disk-shaped calcareous shell of a foraminifer, found commonly as a fossil up to 8 cm across in marine Tertiary deposits.
- Family Nummulitidae, order Foraminiferida: several genera, including Nummulites
- The occurrence higher in the succession of nummulites and neritic fossils indicates overall shallowing upwards.
- They found that the Eocene nummulites lived in nutrient-rich environments during a warm climatic phase.
- In the seas, the calcareous nannofossils were still in evidence but in shallow waters the benthonic nummulite and other larger foraminifera became very abundant.
Definition of nummulite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.