noun (plural nurseries)
- 1A room in a house for the special use of young children.More example sentences
- It had a living room, a dining room, a nursery, three bedrooms, three bathrooms and a huge kitchen fitted out like the galley of an old Cunarder.
- There are two bedrooms on the ground floor and two upstairs but there is also an unusual room which could be changed into a nursery if an extra room was needed.
- Stained glass panels carrying colourful images of cartoon characters are placed in nurseries and rooms assigned to children.
- 1.1A place where young children are cared for during the working day; a nursery school.More example sentences
- As a result of inadequate funding, more than 80 percent of the teachers and attendants in nurseries and kindergartens have received no training for the positions they fill.
- Changes in higher education are only part of changes throughout an educational system and cannot be seen separately from strategies for nurseries, primary schools or vocational training.
- There is a range of private and public nurseries, kindergartens, and play schools.
- 1.2A place where young plants and trees are grown for sale or for planting elsewhere.More example sentences
- The nursery has expanded to include a tree nursery where saplings are grown on to maturity for sale.
- It's resistant to humidity diseases, and is readily available at the specialist fruit tree nurseries.
- These gardeners may make note of those plants they'd like to add to their personal landscapes and seek them out at nurseries or special plant sales.
- 1.3A place or natural habitat that breeds or supports animals: this estuary provides a vast nursery for fishMore example sentences
- In and around the estuaries, freshwater mingled with salt to create habitats supporting mangroves and nurseries for wading birds and fish.
- A large lagoon, protected from the open sea by the surrounding islands, serves as a natural nursery for the population.
- These marshes provide nursery habitat for fish and shellfish.
More definitions of nurseryDefinition of nursery in:
- The British & World English dictionary