Definition of nutcracker in English:
1A device for cracking nuts.
- The collection includes a ferocious Minotaur, the mythical half-human, half-bull, made from welded spoons, nutcrackers and windscreen wipers.
- A rope-tow's a generous interpretation of what it really is; it's fondly called a nutcracker because the device that hangs around your waist clamps onto the rope in the same way a nut would be cracked open.
- Scarborough Sea Life Centre is building a giant tank to accommodate 12 ‘baby’ Japanese Spider Crabs - whose infant pincers are as big as nutcrackers.
2A crow that feeds on the seeds of conifers, found widely in Eurasia and in western North America.
- Genus Nucifraga, family Corvidae: the Eurasian spotted nutcracker (N. caryocatactes), with white-spotted brown plumage, and the North American Clark’s nutcracker (N. columbiana), with pale gray and black plumage
- Balda started studying pinyon jays and Clark's nutcrackers in the late 1960s.
- The Clark's nutcracker - which also has a well-developed hippocampus - can pinpoint thousands of scattered food caches up to nine months after storing them.
- The explorers introduced to science Clark's nutcracker and Lewis's woodpecker, as well as the sage grouse and the lesser Canada goose.
Definition of nutcracker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan