Definition of nutcracker in English:
1A device for cracking nuts.
- The collection includes a ferocious Minotaur, the mythical half-human, half-bull, made from welded spoons, nutcrackers and windscreen wipers.
- A rope-tow's a generous interpretation of what it really is; it's fondly called a nutcracker because the device that hangs around your waist clamps onto the rope in the same way a nut would be cracked open.
- Scarborough Sea Life Centre is building a giant tank to accommodate 12 ‘baby’ Japanese Spider Crabs - whose infant pincers are as big as nutcrackers.
2A crow that feeds on the seeds of conifers, found widely in Eurasia and in western North America.
- Genus Nucifraga, family Corvidae: the Eurasian spotted nutcracker (N. caryocatactes), with white-spotted brown plumage, and the North American Clark’s nutcracker (N. columbiana), with pale gray and black plumage
- Balda started studying pinyon jays and Clark's nutcrackers in the late 1960s.
- The Clark's nutcracker - which also has a well-developed hippocampus - can pinpoint thousands of scattered food caches up to nine months after storing them.
- The explorers introduced to science Clark's nutcracker and Lewis's woodpecker, as well as the sage grouse and the lesser Canada goose.
Definition of nutcracker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.