Definition of nuthatch in English:
A small songbird with a long strong bill, a stiffened square-cut tail, and the habit of climbing down tree trunks head first.
- Family Sittidae and genus Sitta: numerous species, including the North American white-breasted nuthatch (S. carolinensis), with a gray back, black cap (male), black eyes, and white face and underparts
- Although cardinals, chickadees, titmice, blue jays, nuthatches and finches will eat the large striped sunflower seed, there is much less waste and a bit more nutrition in the small, oil type.
- Plenty of birds of winter still mob Ann's bird feeders; chickadees, juncos, sparrows, woodpeckers, nuthatches, goldfinch, and doves are in no short supply.
- They have disappeared from our view, as have bullfinches and tree sparrows, nuthatches and marsh tits.
Definition of nuthatch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan