Definition of nutria in English:
1A large semiaquatic beaverlike rodent, native to South America. It is kept in captivity for its fur and has become naturalized in many other areas.
- Myocastor coypus, the only member of the family Myocastoridae
- A South American rodent, the nutria escaped or was released into the wild from pens.
- Hurricane Katrina's path of destruction dealt at least a temporary setback to the nutria, the South American rodent species that is devouring wetlands along the Gulf of Mexico, according to experts.
- Originally from South America, the nutria has devastated thousands of acres of wetlands along the U.S. Gulf Coast with its voracious appetite and prolific mating habits.
1.1The pelt of the nutria.
- Extremely poor prices for nutria pelts have resulted in very little trapping activity.
- My favorite piece of wearing apparel is my 3/4 length nutria coat that I bought at the Red, White, and Blue Thrift Store for $9.95.
- Nutria fur never really caught on, and after a few escaped into the Louisiana swamp, they bred like crazy and are now ravaging wetlands around the country.
early 19th century: from Spanish, literally 'otter'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India