Definition of nux vomica in English:
1A spiny southern Asian tree with berrylike fruit and toxic seeds that are a commercial source of strychnine.
- Strychnos nux-vomica, family Loganiaceae
- De Abano in the fourteenth century included mercury, copper, lapis lazuli, arsenic sublimate, litharge, nux vomica, laurel berries, and hellebore in his De Remedis Venenorum.
- Belladonna, sepia and nux vomica are among the most common ingredients.
- The Strychnine tree also known as Nux vomica, is an evergreen tree native to southeast Asia, a member of family Loganiaceae.
1.1A homeopathic preparation of the nux vomica plant used especially for the treatment of symptoms of overeating and overdrinking.
- Homeopathic remedies, including nux vomica, iris, belladona and others seem to help some headache sufferers.
- I also recommend the remedy nux vomica for sickness following surgery.
- A homeopathic remedy for hangovers is the attractively-named nux vomica, which is available in most health food stores.
Definition of nux vomica in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan