- Extreme or irrational fear of the night or of darkness.More example sentences
- Other standard phobias are nyctophobia, a fear of the dark, and ochlophobia a fear of crowds, from the Greek words for night and crowd respectively.
- For nyctophobia, try facing the darkness with another person that brings a feeling of safety, such as a parent or good friend.
- Nyctophobia is mostly present in young children, and starts out with night terrors and a healthy fear of the boogeyman.
early 20th century: from Greek nux, nukt- 'night' + phobia.
More definitions of nyctophobiaDefinition of nyctophobia in:
- The British & World English dictionary