Definition of nylon in English:
1A tough, lightweight, elastic synthetic polymer with a proteinlike chemical structure, able to be produced as filaments, sheets, or molded objects.
- The resulting hydrogenated compounds are starting materials for nylon and polyester intermediates.
- For example, consider the production of adipic acid, which is used to manufacture nylon 6,6.
- Nylon is one of the most common polymers used as a fiber.
1.1Fabric or yarn made from nylon fibers.
- They found these blue and gray nylon fibers in Westerfield's home and two dozen of them in and around her body.
- The fuel cells in the tanker are made of nylon fabric less than one-sixteenth of an inch thick.
- The inquest heard that the blue nylon rope had been woven through the loops of a trellis attached to a gazebo rather than tied.
1.2 (nylons) Stockings or hose made of nylon.
- I turned her on to nylons, garters, corsets, mini-skirts.
- The garbage bag also contained underwear, socks and nylons.
- Heidi suggested using a pair of tights or nylons, but I used my non-terrycloth kitchen towel with a cheesy Montmartre pattern on it, thinking it would be most appropriate.
1930s: an invented word, on the pattern of cotton and rayon.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan