Definition of nymphalid in English:
An insect of a large family of strikingly marked butterflies that have small forelegs not used for walking, including many familiar butterflies of temperate regions, such as the monarch and viceroy.
- Family Nymphalidae (sometimes restricted to those that are now usually placed in the subfamily Nymphalinae)
- Our work includes representative taxa from all the main lineages of riodinids, lycaenids, and nymphalids.
- Furthermore, these gene duplications evolved after the split between the common ancestor of nymphalid and papilionid butterflies.
- Like many nymphalid, papilionid, and hesperiid butterflies, male H. bolina occupy and defend perching sites in forest clearings and along flight paths as a means of maximizing their encounters with receptive females.
Definition of nymphalid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan