1Compliance with an order, request, or law or submission to another’s authority: children were taught to show their parents obedience obedience to moral standards
More example sentences
- But his blind obedience to duty and authority leads to a moral failure to rebel against Ahab, and because duty wins, he dooms both himself and the ship to its fate.
- Particularly significant is the power of certain types of organization to condition the behaviour of their members, especially in habituating them to obedience to authority.
- He was fascinated by behavioural patterns and society's obedience to authority and New Yorkers were doubtless delighted when his research revealed them to be so obliging.
compliance, acquiescence, tractability, amenability;
dutifulness, duty, deference, observance of the law/rules;
submissiveness, submission, conformity, docility, tameness, subservience, obsequiousness, servility
1.1Observance of a monastic rule: vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience
More example sentences
- It is out of the Benedictine, or monastic, tradition of obedience that I formed my decision.
- They took vows of chastity and poverty, and if part of a monastic community, obedience to the abbot.
- But even monastic women, after taking the vows of chastity, obedience and poverty, could not he cleansed of the stigma of Eve.
in obedience to
- In accordance with: he was acting in obedience to his conscienceMore example sentences
- Australia assumes a comprehensive jurisdiction over its own ships in obedience to, or at least in conformity with, the general body of international law, which is codified in that Convention.
- Your Honour, in obedience to requests made to me informally by the Registrar, I invite your Honour to certify for counsel.
- ‘This is a significant step forward and continues a process which could well change the face of English Christianity - which would be in obedience to God's gift and calling,’ he said.
Middle English: via Old French from Latin oboedientia, from the verb oboedire (see obey).
Words that rhyme with obedienceexpedience
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.