Definition of obedient in English:
Complying or willing to comply with orders or requests; submissive to another’s will: she was totally obedient to him
More example sentences
- They are expected to be obedient and comply with requests from adults immediately.
- We have been taught to be obedient to authorities and not to think for ourselves much.
- With Mimi he was expected to be neatly groomed, dutiful and obedient.
dutiful, good, law-abiding, deferential, respectful, duteous, well trained, well disciplined, manageable, governable;
your obedient servant
- dated A formula used to end a letter.Example sentences
- It was an age when letters routinely ended with formulae like ‘I beg to remain your obedient servant’ although the writer had no wish to do anything of the kind.
- I have the honour to remain, Ma'am, your obedient servant,
- They all signed off any official communication to any ordinary citizen with, ‘I am your obedient servant.’
Words that rhyme with obedientexpedient, ingredient, mediant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.