Definition of obituary in English:
noun (plural obituaries)
A notice of a death, especially in a newspaper, typically including a brief biography of the deceased person: the obituary of a friend [as modifier]: an obituary notice
More example sentences
- Every day that passes sees the obituary columns of broadsheet newspapers bring us more examples.
- Everyone knows that major newspapers hold obituaries written well in advance of the deaths of notable people.
- The Warwickshire captain is used to reading his obituary notice in the columns of the national newspapers.
- Example sentences
- Most obituarists prefer the airbrush to the sharpened pen when it comes to the famous and powerful.
- He was an occasional obituarist for The Independent and The Guardian and a contributor to the New Dictionary of National Biography.
- We cannot control what other's write about us, and today's critic may be tomorrow's biographer and obituarist.
Words that rhyme with obituarysumptuary • voluptuary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.