Definition of oblation in English:
1A thing presented or offered to God or a god.
- The resplendent Lord bestows affluence on the devotee who offers worship and oblations.
- Manu has declared that those Brahmanas who are thieves, outcasts, eunuchs, or atheists are unworthy to partake of oblations offered to gods and ancestors.
- Agni will take the oblations and offer it to the different destinations.
1.1 Christian Church The presentation of bread and wine to God in the Eucharist.
- The words of consecration are spoken consciously by him (in the name of the church) as an account of the foundation of what the church does in oblation, and of what the church prays the Holy Spirit to effect.
- Superseding the offerings made in the old dispensation, he offers himself as ‘the full, perfect and sufficient sacrifice, oblation and satisfaction for the sins of the whole world.’
- Only the one ‘full, perfect, and sufficient sacrifice, oblation, and satisfaction for the sins of the whole world’ will do.
- Example sentences
- Self-sacrifice is always an expression of oblational (giving) tendencies.
- Having gratified him, now I partake of the oblational food with Somrasa."
- Example sentences
- The Buddha's sarira (finger-bone) from Xi'an Famen Buddhist Temple arrives at the Convention and Exhibition Center during an oblatory ceremony in Hong Kong.
- Through it Christ is made present on the altar (consecratory aspect) and offered to God (oblatory aspect).
- Hours before the oblatory ceremony, nearly a hundred believers gathered at the HKCE to wait for the arrival of the Buddha's finger bone.
Pronunciation: /-SHənl, -SHnəl/adjective
Words that rhyme with oblationablation, aeration, agnation, Alsatian, Amerasian, Asian, aviation, cetacean, citation, conation, creation, Croatian, counterdemonstration, counterproliferation, crustacean, curation, Dalmatian, delation, dilation, donation, duration, elation, fixation, Galatian, geolocation, glocalization, gyration, Haitian, halation, Horatian, ideation, illation, lavation, legation, libation, location, lunation, mutation, natation, nation, negation, notation, nutation, oration, ovation, potation, relation, rogation, rotation, Sarmatian, sedation, Serbo-Croatian, station, staycation, taxation, Thracian, vacation, vexation, vocation, zonation
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India