Denoting or relating to a disorder in which a person feels compelled to perform certain meaningless actions repeatedly in order to alleviate obsessive fears or intrusive thoughts, typically resulting in severe disruption of daily life.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is a common mental health condition that affects 2% of the population.
- For people with obsessive-compulsive disorder, obsession creates a maze of persistent, unwanted thoughts.
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder most often occurs in men.
A person characterized by obsessive-compulsive behavior.
- College students recalled ten specific events (e.g., giving a public performance) to test the hypothesis that obsessive-compulsives more often take the observing-self perspective in autobiographical memories.
- It may also lessen the anxiety of many obsessive-compulsives who are afraid to undergo behavior therapy, thus allowing them to participate in the intensive psychological treatment.
- Evidence suggests the first treatment for obsessive-compulsives should be behavior therapy.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of obsessive–compulsive in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.