- 1 Phonetics A fricative or plosive speech sound.More example sentences
- The grid shows that only obstruents (STOP and fricative consonants) enter into the voiced/voiceless distinction.
- She also found a sex-linked effect with initial sonorants vs. obstruents: obstruents were hotter on males, sonorants on females, though only the female effect was significant.
- No such requirement holds if the first of the coda consonants is not an obstruent.
mid 17th century: from Latin obstruent- 'blocking up', from the verb obstruere.
More definitions of obstruentDefinition of obstruent in:
- The British & World English dictionary