Definition of occidental in English:
Of or relating to the countries of the Occident: an Asian challenge to occidental dominance
More example sentences
- Enwezor's search for this inclusive discourse confronted the ethics and limits of occidental power, and its impact on contemporary discourses of globalization.
- And yet, it is a two-way colonization, as the translation and dissemination of extreme cinema ‘colonizes’ the occidental market.
- Mainstream occidental thought about peace has changed little during the past 2,000 years, apart from oriental elements during the Middle Ages.
noun(Occidental) Back to top
A native or inhabitant of the Occident.
- Many Occidentals have rejected their own religion.
- Occidentals indisputably have had starring roles in many of our world's great debacles.
- My understanding is that they ultimately all come from the same point be they Oriental, Occidental, African, or Native American tradition.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan