noun (plural ocelli /ōˈselī/ /ōˈselē/)Zoology
2 another term for eyespot (sense 1) and.
- Besides functioning as an identification feature, the ocelli also have anti-predator functions.
- They suggested that the color change is stimulated by perception of the background color by the larval ocelli and effected by a neurophysiological pathway.
- Transverse cuticular wrinkles arranged in a tight parallel pattern form a ring posterior to the ocelli and encircle about 25% of the cephalothorax.
- Example sentences
- Adjacent to these lie the two ocellar bristles and the two postvertical bristles in addition to several microchaetae.
- During a 14-wk interval, a new postocellar region was regenerated while the anteriormost ocellar region degenerated.
- Neuronal hyperplasia is observed in mutant clones located behind the MF (white arrows) or in the ocellar precursor region (red arrows).
Early 19th century: from Latin, diminutive of oculus 'eye'.
Definition of ocellus in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.