- A group or set of eight.More example sentences
- After meiosis, the four meiotic products undergo an additional mitotic division to yield eight haploid nuclei, which differentiate into an octad of eight ascospores.
- In this case, the first postmeiotic cells deriving from the spores have been separated to yield octads composed of four pairs of colonies deriving from a single meiosis.
- In these cases, molecular analysis was performed on only four members of the octad.
mid 19th century: via late Latin from Greek oktas, oktad-, from oktō 'eight'.
More definitions of octadDefinition of octad in:
- The British & World English dictionary