Definition of octane in English:
A colorless flammable hydrocarbon of the alkane series, obtained in petroleum refining.
- Chemical formula: C8H18; many isomers, especially the straight-chain isomer (n-octane) . See also isooctane
- Carbon in its most reduced form is found in alkanes, which are typically fuels like methane, propane, and octane.
- Instead, new engines have been designed to run on lower octane gasoline, which is made of hydrocarbons that are resistant to knock.
- Four different solvent media were considered: octane, tetrahydrofuran, acetonitrile, and water.
Definition of octane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.