Definition of octant in English:
1An arc of a circle equal to one eighth of its circumference, or the area enclosed by such an arc with two radii of the circle.
- Included in those downloads are the last two octants needed to complete the color, 360-degree ‘mission success' panorama.
- The arc was extended from an octant to a sextant and a stout handle was added at the back of the instrument.
1.1Each of eight parts into which a space or solid body is divided by three planes that intersect (especially at right angles) at a single point.
- At the octant (eight-cell) stage the embryo proper and suspensor are clearly distinct.
- The model put forward for the action of BDL suggests that auxin is involved in determining hypophyseal cell fate at the octant stage.
1.2An obsolete instrument in the form of a graduated eighth of a circle, used in astronomy and navigation.
- Instead of compasses, octants, and two-pole chains, modern digital GPS units determine position and direction.
- Clark used celestial observation to determine latitude, triangulating position with an octant.
late 17th century: from Latin octans, octant- 'half-quadrant', from octo 'eight'.
Definition of octant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan