Definition of octant in English:
1An arc of a circle equal to one eighth of its circumference, or the area enclosed by such an arc with two radii of the circle.
- Included in those downloads are the last two octants needed to complete the color, 360-degree ‘mission success' panorama.
- The arc was extended from an octant to a sextant and a stout handle was added at the back of the instrument.
1.1Each of eight parts into which a space or solid body is divided by three planes that intersect (especially at right angles) at a single point.
- At the octant (eight-cell) stage the embryo proper and suspensor are clearly distinct.
- The model put forward for the action of BDL suggests that auxin is involved in determining hypophyseal cell fate at the octant stage.
1.2An obsolete instrument in the form of a graduated eighth of a circle, used in astronomy and navigation.
- Instead of compasses, octants, and two-pole chains, modern digital GPS units determine position and direction.
- Clark used celestial observation to determine latitude, triangulating position with an octant.
Late 17th century: from Latin octans, octant- 'half-quadrant', from octo 'eight'.
Definition of octant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.