nounchiefly North American
- Another term for the pound sign ().More example sentences
- By dialing the octothorpe (#) and 44, then saying ‘Messages,’ a subscriber can retrieve voice mail.
- This starts with an octothorpe and consists of 6 hex numbers.
- Common names for an octothorpe include number sign, hash (most common in the UK), or pound (US standard usage).
1970s: of uncertain origin; probably from octo- (referring to the eight points on the symbol) + the surname Thorpe.
More definitions of octothorpDefinition of octothorp in:
- The British & World English dictionary