Definition of octuple in English:
1Consisting of eight parts or things.
- I couldn't decide whether to feel old and boring or as if I was 14 and on an octuple date.
- The five octuple launchers are installed with the caps almost flush with the surface of the bow deck behind the main gun.
verbBack to top
Make or become eight times as numerous or as large.
- Doctors' salaries have octupled, and 22 million vaccination doses have been given to Iraqi children.
- The penalty shoot-out is unfair because it puts completely unfamiliar demands on a person and then it octuples the stakes.
Early 17th century: from French octuple or Latin octuplus (both adjectives), from octo 'eight' + -plus (as in duplus 'double').
Definition of octuple in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.