Definition of odd-toed ungulate in English:
A hoofed mammal of an order that includes horses, rhinoceroses, and tapirs. Mammals of this group have either one or three toes on each foot. Compare with even-toed ungulate.
- Order Perissodactyla: three families
- Artiodactyls stand in contrast to the ‘odd-toed ungulates,’ the Perissodactyla, in which the plane of symmetry runs down the third toe.
- Even- and odd-toed ungulates are the predominant large mammalian herbivores in most of the world today.
- The horse's single toe on each of its four feet is its most marked anatomical characteristic and makes it a perissodactyl or odd-toed ungulate.
Definition of odd-toed ungulate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.