Definition of odd-toed ungulate in English:
A hoofed mammal of an order that includes horses, rhinoceroses, and tapirs. Mammals of this group have either one or three toes on each foot. Compare with even-toed ungulate.
- Order Perissodactyla: three families
- Artiodactyls stand in contrast to the ‘odd-toed ungulates,’ the Perissodactyla, in which the plane of symmetry runs down the third toe.
- Even- and odd-toed ungulates are the predominant large mammalian herbivores in most of the world today.
- The horse's single toe on each of its four feet is its most marked anatomical characteristic and makes it a perissodactyl or odd-toed ungulate.
Definition of odd-toed ungulate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan