A predatory insect of the order Odonata; a dragonfly or damselfly.
- My quick survey of the antennal structure of extant odonates and mayflies indicates that the flagellum is structurally different.
- According to most studies, the main diet of adult odonates consists of small insects, especially Diptera (flies).
- They are encountered infrequently even in the heart of their range, and are among the most poorly known odonates in North America.
Relating to or denoting odonates.
- Distance moved was not analyzed because it is well correlated with number of moves (position changes) in odonate larvae.
- Despite its relatively small size, Massachusetts hosts one of the most diverse odonate faunas known from any state, with at least 164 species recorded to date.
- A number of odonate species are currently endangered.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of odonate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.