- Unprepared for some surprise or difficulty: the government was caught off guard by the unexpected announcementMore example sentences
unprepared, unready, inattentive, unwary, with one's defenses down, cold, unsuspecting• informal napping, asleep at the wheel
- As we have already seen the fire can spread very rapidly and may catch the unwary off guard.
- If I could catch him off guard it would give me just the edge I needed to send him crying into comic oblivion.
- The sheer size of the dish caught me a little off guard at first, but senses restored, I found the rich pate to be delightful.
More definitions of off guardDefinition of off guard in:
- The British & World English dictionary