- 1 Music Not coinciding with the beat.More example sentences
- It is instantly recognizable from the counterpoint between the bass and drum downbeat, and the offbeat rhythm section.
- Sometimes Schumann would destroy my case by perpetrating a lengthy passage of manic offbeat accompaniment such as occurs twice in the first movement of No 3.
- Between the offbeat strum, subterranean bass and rock-steady drumming, they leave gaps that other bands would nervously clutter with ephemera.
- 2 • informal Unconventional; unusual: she’s a little offbeat, but she’s a wonderful actressMore example sentences
- This cinema at that time showed very offbeat and unusual films.
- The humor is offbeat and unconventional, but much of it is funny.
- Dr. Seuss has been one of the most unusual and offbeat children's authors in literature.
nounMusic Back to top
- Any of the normally unaccented beats in a bar.More example sentences
- McDowell's guitar playing on these songs was all about rhythm, a distinctive syncopated chug that emphasized the offbeats and often stayed on a single chord.
- The drum machine offbeats are still present, but instead of snarky basslines and slow grinds, the song features a wistfully high organ stomp, and shifting tempos throughout.
- This is all to say nothing of the beautiful, ever-rising backing that threads through the song; present in the verse, when the horns come in full-force on the offbeats.