- A person, typically a priest or minister, who performs a religious service or ceremony.More example sentences
- Among Muslims, burial must occur within twenty-four hours and be attended by Muslim officiants; Christian burial is also led by a local church leader.
- Death ceremonies are quite elaborate in Sri Lanka, usually conducted by the families of the deceased in conjunction with religious officiants.
- More than 100 guests attended the non-denominational ceremony, which was held on the beach during sunset and performed by a local officiant.
mid 19th century: from medieval Latin officiant- 'performing divine service', from the verb officiare.
More definitions of officiantDefinition of officiant in:
- The British & World English dictionary